Monday, August 22, 2011

Anchor

So I recently got a job at a local radio station, which is part of the reason the updates have been fewer and farther in between for the last month and a half. Although it started as a promotions gig, (set-up for remote broadcasts, appearances at public events, handing out free stuff and calling contest winners etc.) I've just this past week started to branch out. On Thursday and Friday I took part in the launch of a new top 40 music station, SoNIC 104.9FM and got to operate the board for a few hours. If you're reading this blog, chances are you won't like the music, just like I don't, but a job is a job. Today, I've been thrown into the fire so to speak, as I've been giving updates on-air for NEWS 1130 from Vancouver's 101st summer fair, the PNE. I think it's gone pretty well, in fact I'm writing this update in between cut-ins. So yeah, I have a cool new job, it's going well, and I'm making inroads to a real career. I'll be starting the world-class Radio Broadcast program at BCIT in a few weeks, and I'm already getting paid to go on-air at a major radio station in one of the three largest media markets in Canada. So life is going well.

Honestly, I do have reservations about being part of the machine. Rogers Communications, who owns the stations I work for, is one of the largest companies in Canada. Moreover, the radio business is cutthroat, and I've already seen collegues of mine get terminated in purely bottom-line decisions. I've made my dissatisfaction with how radio has served music for the last few decades clear in this here blog previously, so there is no need to get into that here. That being said, if I can make a living talking into a microphone about my two greatest passions, music and sports, I think I could live with that. And maybe, just maybe, I can make some changes for the better from the inside. Okay, maybe that's a long shot. Clearly, some day I'm gonna have to set up my own pirate radio station, purely for the love of music. Someone has to play Captain Beyond and Sir Lord Baltimore. Keep on rocking everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment