Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Standards

John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats on working with former Morbid Angel and current Hate Eternal member Erik Rutan: "I'm a good indie rock guitarist, but there's hardly any guitarists in all of indie rock that are fit to carry the shoes of a second-string metal guitarist. Those people are the real deal..." (taken from pitchforkmedia.com)

RECOGNIZE!

When did it stop being cool to play your instrument really well? I've never thought that technical wizardry was a prerequisite for making good music (in some cases the opposite is true) but anyone that can achieve a high level of musical proficiency deserves respect in my book. Seems like very little attention is paid in modern rock to actually being able to play. I want to hear musicians challenging the limits of their abilities, whatever those limits may be. Too much of modern rock is content with tears in its music, minus the sweat and the blood. Metal is the exception.

In another note, if you ever want to REALLY freak someone out, throw on Side 4 of Can's Tago Mago. It's the sound of gifted musicians running wild and losing their minds.

2 comments:

  1. Apologies but I was way behind reading posts. I like your blog because it has on several occasions introduced me to other Metal dimensions...your latest writings being no exception. And as for Can's Tago Mago O Peking...your summing up...I couldn't have put it better myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. Metal has really gotten its due in the last ten years or so after almost a decade in hibernation. I think its important to give credit where credit is due. Today's bands are seemingly more omnivorous, genre divisions are breaking down. Rock and metal of all kinds are being combined in really interesting ways. It seems to get better each year.

    ReplyDelete